Wednesday, August 06, 2008

Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Today we learned that our unborn baby boy Miles has a congenital heart defect, but we won't know the extent of the defect until after he is born. Because he is so far along (38 weeks) and considered full term, the doctors are unable to get a good look at all the angles of his heart to be able to pinpoint what is causing the problem. What they see is that the right side of his heart is very enlarged compared to the left. The pediatric cardiologist who looked at the sonogram today told us afterwards that he is "very nervous" about our baby and that he will be born very sick. We've pretty much been given possible scenarios ranging from A to Z - everything from something that can be treated with medication to a defect that he will not be able to survive. And then everything in between, with the possiblity of a transplant somewhere in the middle. However, the outcome he did not mention, and what we are praying for, is that Miles will be born with a fully functioning, healthy heart. We believer our Savior can move the mountains, and that is what we are asking. We are asking that we will be able to hold our son alive soon after his birth. Either way, we know that our God's will is perfect and that His name will be glorified no matter the outcome. Miles will be born on Thursday, July 31 between 8:00 and 8:30, via c-section, at Parkland Hospital. I am delivering at Parkland so that he can be transported immediately next door to Children's. The plan is for him to be stabilized in the delivery room, with the cardiologists from Children's on hand to determine his needs, and then he will be taken over to Children's.

No comments: