Thursday, October 04, 2012

Election 2012: It's a Twister!

Romney hates the poor!

Obama hates the rich!

Romney hates women!

Obama hates America!

Raise your hand if you have heard one, if not all, of these statements at some point recently.  Isn't it exhausting?  Of course, most level-headed people I should think simply roll their eyes at all of the above knowing that they are all emotionally charged and none hold even an ounce of truth.

In fact, my feeling is that the opposite of all four statements is true of both candidates.

Gasp!  Oh, the nerve!

C'mon.  Isn't it possible that our two presidential candidates are both good people who want the very best for all Americans regardless of class, gender, or any other category into which we fall?  Romney hates the poor?  Give me a break.  Obama hates America?  How ridiculous.  We have two men here who simply have very different views that they believe in on how to make America the best for all Americans.

It's shocking the comments I've heard people make over this tornado that is Election 2012.  Just plain ole mean-spirited, ugly remarks targeted at people who hold a different view.  I hear it coming from both sides.  Here's my two cents, probably worth less than one cent, but you get it for free so we all make out just fine.

Everything's gonna be okay, no matter who wins this election.

Why?  Because at the end of the day, no man will sit in the Oval Office who isn't put there by God Himself.  The Bible is clear that,

“… the most High rules in the kingdom of men, and gives it to whomsoever he will..."  Daniel 4:17, 25

and that God is the one Who,

“works ALL things after the counsel of His Own will."  Ephesians 1:11


I reckon that even means the U.S. Presidential Election.  All will be according to His purpose.  So watch the debates if you want, pray, and vote for your favorite.  It would be good to do these things.  But then, be okay with the outcome and be kind to others with an opposing view.  Because ultimately, neither Obama nor Romney is in control of our future, and neither are you.  Some of us don't like to think it, but it is true according to scripture.  Embrace it and you'll find the peaceful eye of this frustrating tornado - Election 2012.

*I don't typically write things like this or like to get caught up in politics, but it seems difficult to get away from all the negativity surrounding this election.  So I just wanted to weigh in and maybe this will connect with someone else who finds themselves getting sucked into the chaos.  Again, I realize that my opinion might not be worth much... and Praise God that it's not!

Oh, and here's a link to a great article that helps to remind me of the peace of God that I possess when I find myself getting agitated.  Well worth the read!

No comments: