Sunday, May 12, 2013

A Different Kind of Mother's Day Poem

Today is Mother's Day, and I praise God for my wonderful mother - Sue Ann Lakey.

I also celebrate being mother to these three wonderful children.  It's hard to believe.  Mother's Day has taken on a new significance for me this year.


Lately I've been thinking about Lakey's birth mother.  There is so much about her that I wish I knew but never will.  It's inevitable that some day Lakey will want to know more about her too.  Maybe it will be some Mother's Day in the future that will trigger the question in her little heart,

Why do I have a mother AND a birth mother?

Moreover, it only seems natural that Lakey might one day struggle with where her identity lies.  With her mother who has raised her and is all she knows, or with a ghost of a woman on the other side of the world who gave her life?

The following is a poem by an unknown author that was printed in the Dear Abby column.  A friend of Jeremy's clipped it and passed it along to us.  I wanted to post it so that I'll always have it.  It might just help Lakey understand better than I'll be able to explain, though I will always do my very best.

Once there were two women
Who never knew each other.
One you do not remember,
The other you call mother.

Two different lives
shaped to make yours one.
One became your guiding star,
the other became your sun.

The first gave you life
And the second taught you to live it.
The first gave you a need for love
And the second was there to give it.

One gave you a nationality
the other gave you a name.
One gave you a seed of talent,
the other gave you an aim.

One gave you emotions,
the other calmed your fears.
One saw your first sweet smile,
the other dried your tears.

One gave you up -
it was all that she could do.
The other prayed for a child
and God led her straight to you.

And now you ask me
Through your tears,
The age-old question
Through the years:

Heredity or environment
Which are you the product of?
Neither my darling, neither.
Just two different kinds of love.

Happy Mother's Day to all the mothers both far and near!

No comments: