Wednesday, July 22, 2015

Miles Files: Teach Them Well

Lately, when Miles says something mean or acts a certain way and then realizes that he is going to get in trouble, he quickly delivers the classic line, "It's a JOKE!  I'm just joking!"

Yesterday, Lakey and Knox wanted to watch Yo Gabba Gabba in the car.  Miles heaved a big sigh, "Nooooo!  I hate Yo Gabba Gabba!  It's the stupidest show I've ever seen.  Blah, blah, Knox and Lakey ALWAYS get to choose!  This show is for babies!  Even though!"  (Even though is a common phrase in Miles' vernacular - equivalent to the usage of whatever in my day.)

Now admittedly, Yo Gabba Gabba is a very annoying preschool show that makes every parent I know want to cuss.  But almost every youngster I know loves it, including Miles.  Literally, three days ago he was in the back of the car watching it with a big smile on his face.  And now, he was acting like it was suddenly beneath him.

We went ahead and started the DVD, and of course a few moments later I hear Miles laugh and say, "Knox, this is my favorite part."  I sarcastically replied, "Oh no Miles, you better cover your eyes.  You hate this show, remember?"  And of course he said, "Ugh, I was just teasing!  It was a joke!"

At this point Jeremy launches into a lecture about how it's fine to joke, but you can't say certain things and then tell people it was a joke only because you are realize you shouldn't have said it or after you realize you didn't really mean what you said.  It's not sincere, it's not nice, you were just trying to make Knox and Lakey feel like babies, etc, etc, et cetera (it was a good message, but not the most concise maybe).  I briefly faded out and then tuned back in when I heard Jeremy say, "Do you understand Bubba?"

Miles, totally glazed over too, refocused and said, "So, you mean... people are the future?"

And Jeremy, "Well yes.  I believe the children are our future."

Help us.

1 comment:

ChelseaSalomone said...

Solid lecture, Jeremy. The point CLEARLY hit home. HAHAHA!