Thursday, February 04, 2010

Night Wars

I am trying to solve a mystery from Monday morning.  It's really quite bizarre (and pretty hilarious as well).  Jeremy left the house early to catch a 7:30 a.m. flight to Amarillo, and I had gotten up at 5:15 a.m. to make sure I was showered and dressed for work so that I could have Miles and Knox up, dressed, and be out the door by 7 am  in order to drop them off at nursery school and be back on the road, Dallas-bound, by 7:20ish.  Whew!

Anyway.  I was completely ready and still hadn't heard a peep from either of the boys, so I took the opportunity to get ahead of the game (i.e. wash a couple of dishes, pour Miles a cup of milk, pack their school bags, etc.).  A few minutes later, I heard some gleeful chatter coming from Miles' room upstairs.  I grabbed his sippy cup and headed up the stairs - the typical routine.  I opened his door to a babbling brook and crickets chirping (courtesy of the awesome sound machine I put in his room to help drown out the sound of the neighbor kid doing Ollies on his skateboard, in our driveway, after Miles goes to bed.  Ugh!  And to muffle the cries of Knox in the next room).    It was still dark outside, so I turned on his lamp.  I WISH I had taken a picture of the sight I saw when I turned around to greet Miles.  In addition to rockin' some major bedhead, his little cheeks were bright red and chapped, his left arm was completely out of his pajama sleeve and instead was up through the neck hole, so it looked like he was sporting some sort of trendy, asymmetrical, off-the-shoulder number.  And to ice the cake, he had a bloody nose!!  All dried and crusty.  What on earth!?!!  And he was just grinning like a joker - happy as a lark.  I cannot for the life of me figure out what happened during the night - maybe Knox seeking revenge from all the swipes he's taken from his big brother?  Maybe a Mission: Impossible-type dream?

Who will ever know?

No comments: